Determine the name for your Beagle based on history, culture, temperament and vocation.
The Beagle is known for soulful eyes, a rich melodic voice and ears dragging the ground as his talented nose creates insatiable curiosity. Your Beagle puppy is the quintessential spirit of friendliness, affection, and fun. In his small but sturdy body resides a heart as big as any in the canine world. With his legendary endurance, he is the traditional bunny-hunter of choice. He will locate and pursue the rabbit until it comes full circle to the hunter’s gun. The beagle is a healthy, happy little dog that will uplift the spirits of anyone fortunate enough to know him. He is a true Englishman with a lineage dating from the fifteenth century and, therefore, will deserve a proper British name.
What’s in a name?
“A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.” – Proverbs 22:1.
The first word your new Beagle will learn is his name. His name spoken by you will be the sweetest sound that those oversized ears will ever hear. It will be the music that connects you with your friend and him with you. You will do your friend a great service if you give a name as merry as his mood.
Ten Top Beagle Names of English Origin
- Hunter – More game has been taken by the combination of man and Beagle than by any other dog. It is a fitting name for one so perfectly built to pursue the hunter’s profession.
- Chase – Given a chance, your Beagle puppy will revel in the glory of a merry chase. Whether it is chasing you, his tale, or a bunny, he is happiest in unbridled, baying pursuit of his prey.
- Aidian – means little fire. Your Beagle puppy is a lot of spirit and warmth in a small package.
- Caleb – means dog heart. The Beagle is one of the most loving of canines; he also shows great heart in his pursuit of quarry. His will-driven endurance in chasing his game is well documented.
- Brady – means descendant of Britain. In England, the Beagle has been a purebred dog for more than five centuries.
- Eva – means life. The Beagle exudes a joy and love for life unsurpassed in all dogdom.
- Reese – means enthusiasm; your Beagle is the personification of jubilant zest.
- Amy – means loved; by virtue of his loving nature, your Beagle will be much loved.
- Valentine – means healthy and strong. With a life expectancy of 12 – 15 years, the Beagle is among the healthiest of dog breeds.
- Eden – means delight, which is what your Beagle will be to all who know him or her.
Matching a name to your Beagle’s personality
Your beagle has been bred to have specific abilities and tendencies, but as you will soon learn each individual has his own unique character. Your puppy will obviously be influenced by you, his environment and life experiences. True, he will not know his ancestors’ history, origin, or the meaning of his name – but you will. Being thoughtful of the name you give to your puppy is a great way to begin to dignify your new friend. In case the suggestions that I have made do not resonate with you, browse these English names and their meanings. There are, of course, many more apropos options.