Determine the name of your Airedale based on history, culture, temperament, and vocation.
Beneath that beguilingly mischievous face and all that wiry hair, the Airedale Terrier is an Englishman at heart. He is courageous, playful, affectionate and noble in bearing. He is a mighty hunter of everything from mice to bears. He is a fighter par excellence with a slashing style featuring lightning attacks and even faster retreats. He is the swordsman of the canine world depending on his skill and quickness to win the day. Such a mighty animal will need a name to match his unique heritage, temperament, and fighting abilities.
What’s in a name?
A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.” – Proverbs 22:1.
The first word your new Airedale will learn is his name. His name spoken by you will be the sweetest sound that he will ever hear. It will be the music that connects you with your friend and him with you. You will do your friend a great service if you give him a short simple name because an Airedale is quick to the point of any issue and a short name is clear, quick to say and unambiguous.
Ten top Airedale names of English Origin
- Ace means to excel or one who is noble. The Airedale certainly excels in almost everything he does and conducts himself with the air of nobility.
- Adam means of the red earth. With his rusty red undercoat and terrier ability to go to the ground this is a name that certainly fits.
- Cal means bold. The essence of an Airedale is his fearless, confident bold nature.
- Corwan means friend of the heart. No breed will be more loyal than the ever faithful Airedale terrier.
- Cadda means warring. When forced into a battle, few breeds can hold their own against the quick, skillful fighting style of the Airedale.
- Came [kay-mee] means joy. The perpetual good-natured love of life is inherent in the breed.
- Carly means a free person. Airedales have a strong independent nature as reflected in this name.
- Flyta means swift. The Airedales swiftness is legendary.
- Leanne means grace, favored by the Gods. Your Airedale terrier will be favored with a grace almost unequaled in the canine world.
- Louella means a famous warrior. Make no mistake your female Airedale will be more than capable of defending herself against the boys.
Matching a name to your Airedale Terrier’s Personality
Your Airedale has been bred to have specific abilities and tendencies, but as you will soon learn that each individual has his own unique character. Your puppy will obviously be influenced by you, his environment and his life experiences. True, he will not know his ancestors’ history, origin or the meaning of his name – but you will. Being thoughtful of the name you give your puppy is a great way to begin to dignify your new friend.