One of the most convenient aspects of Revolution for dogs is the fact that Revolution for dogs prevents heartworms at the same time that it kills and prevents fleas. For many dog owners, this is a benefit that is irresistible. In addition to preventing heartworms and fleas, Revolution for dogs helps to control ear mites in dogs, helps to treat scabies (sarcoptic mange) in dogs and controls the species of tick known as Dermacentor variabilis.
Contents at a Glance
- How does Revolution for Dogs Work?
- How is Revolution for Dogs Applied?
- Is Revolution for dogs safe?
- Which Dogs Should Take Revolution?
- What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Revolution for Dogs?
How does Revolution for Dogs Work?
Revolution for dogs contains a chemical known as selamectin as its active ingredient. Shortly after Revolution for dogs is applied to the skin, it is taken into the bloodstream. Once in the bloodstream, Revolution is then redistributed back out to the skin. By exerting effects both internally and externally, Revolution is able to control a broad spectrum of parasites, both internal and external.
How is Revolution for Dogs Applied?
Revolution for dogs is formulated as a liquid medicine which is made to be applied directly to the skin. Normally the Revolution medication is placed on the skin between the shoulder blades or behind the neck.
Revolution for dogs should be applied once per month. Current recommendations advise using Revolution monthly year-round because of the threat of flea and tick issues even during the colder months of the year. It has been found that both fleas and ticks can survive the cold winter months if the environment they are living in is sheltered, such as a crawl space under a home, or low hanging shrubbery which provides adequate shelter beneath the branches.
Revolution acts on fleas by not only killing the adult fleas but also by killing flea eggs and larvae, so that Revolution for dogs is an effective medication in both treating and preventing flea infestations.
Is Revolution for dogs safe?
Revolution for dogs is considered to be an extremely safe product. Side effects associated with the administration of Revolution for dogs are rare but may include:
- depressed appetite
- excess salivation
- muscle tremors
- rapid, shallow breathing patterns
Which Dogs Should Take Revolution?
Any dog at risk for heartworm disease, flea infestation, ear mites, scabies or ticks is a good candidate for taking Revolution for dogs. However, dogs which are sick, weak or debilitated should not have Revolution applied.
In addition, dogs which are infected with heartworms should not have Revolution applied. Dogs over the age of 6 months should have a blood test for heartworms performed before being placed on Revolution. The blood test for heartworms should be repeated every 6-12 months.
Revolution can be administered to puppies as young as 6 weeks of age. Revolution is safe for use in female dogs which are pregnant or nursing, as well as dogs used for breeding purposes.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Revolution for Dogs?
In addition, Revolution for dogs is effective against only one species of tick (Dermacentor variabilis) and there are many other species of ticks which can infest dogs and spread disease.
These disadvantages may be outweighed by the advantages of being able to use Revolution to prevent both heartworms and fleas at the same time. Several factors should be remembered when weighing the advantages of using Revolution for dogs.
- Fleas can cause discomfort for dogs as well as being responsible for flea allergy dermatitis, skin infections, “hot spots” and tapeworm infection.
- Heartworms can cause severe and even fatal disease of the heart in infected dogs.
- Scabies is a disease which can cause skin lesions for dogs and is also contagious to people.
- Ear mites are common parasites which can make a dog extremely uncomfortable and even predispose them to other health issues, such as auricular hematomas, a swelling of the ear flap caused by blood leaking out into the space between the cartilage which makes up the ear flap.
- Revolution is a convenient medication which is easy to apply.