Whether you are aware of the fact or not but allergies are just not human ailments. Maltese dogs are also charged by dogs allergies. Dogs allergies are usually caused due to hyper sensitivity to particular substances.
There is a wide variety of dog allergies the animal can suffer from. In most of the cases, Maltese dogs allergies become visible through changes in the skin conditions. However, there are various other signs and symptoms to look for.
Dog Allergies Symptoms in Maltese
It is very vital to familiarize yourself with common dog allergies symptoms so that you can immediately recognize the ailment and apply the treatment before situations turn severe. Similar to human beings, symptoms of dog allergies are known to vary from mild ones to the severe ones depending upon the cause behind the allergy and the type of allergy the animal is suffering from. However, here are some common dog allergies symptoms in Maltese to look for.
- Itching – itching is one of the most common symptoms for skin allergies, food allergies and as well as for flea allergies. If your pet is feeling itchy, you might find him licking, gnawing, chewing and biting his varied parts of his body. The common areas where Maltese dog itching is known to occur are ears, face, paws, abdomen, groin and hindquarters. The areas which dogs try to lick shall indicate the affected areas.
- Raw paws – if your pet has been gnawing his paws then you shall notice that the paws have turned reddish and brown in color and shall appear raw. In severe case, the paws may also turn bloody.
- Sneezing – sneezing is a common symptom of dogs allergies caused due to inhaling of a harmful substance. In certain cases, sneezing may also be due to contact allergies. Sneezing is usually accompanied with a clear discharge being emitted from the eyes or nose of the pet.
- Diarrhea – diarrhea may be a symptom pointing towards various other types of dog diseases. However, in usual cases, it indicates food allergies.
Maltese Dog Allergies Treatment
The best Maltese dog allergies treatment would be to consult a veterinarian. The veterinarian shall conduct the necessary tests to identify the particular cause and accordingly provide medications to be taken orally as well to be applied.
However, as Maltese dog allergies are very common and not serious always, it would be wise to apply some natural treatment methods in order to cure dogs allergies. Here are some common Maltese dog allergies treatment methods:
- Prevention – prevention has always known to be the best cure. Dogs allergies can be prevented by limiting your pet to exposure of common allergens. Pollen and dust are known to be common allergens.
- Bathe – bathe your Maltese pet regularly as it shall assist in removing the irritant. Make use of warm water and tearless dog shampoo. Use a large tub and allow the dogs to sit in the soapy mixture while you give him a gentle massage. This should be done once or twice every week. You may also use a mixture of vinegar and water for effective results. In addition, red and itch paws can be relaxed by dipping them in a tub of water with Epson salts.
- Diet – supplement your Maltese pet’s diet with flaxseed oil or salmon oil in order to strengthen the immunity power of the skin against the irritants. Flaxseed oil and salmon oil are known to possess fatty acids that reduce the effect of the irritants. Alternatively, you may also get skin supplement from nearby dog store.