Did you know that it would actually be much wiser for dog owners like you to make your own dog food? This way you would be able to make sure that your dog gets the best possible hearty meal he could get to achieve optimum growth.
Many owners now opt to providing their pets homemade dog food. The only problems that you may land face on are time management and budget. If you would like to make your own dog food, it would actually require you some effort as you would have to really make sure that you are preparing a well-balanced meal while making sure that you do not include any additive that may, instead of making your dogs healthy, only poison them.
Aside from that, the ingredients may not also be that affordable because you would have to also make sure that you provide your pooch fresh foods. They are like humans too, you know. You cannot just serve them leftovers. You can make the work easier though.
Make your own dog food for beginners
Here are a few tips if you want to make your own dog food much easier and fun.
- Always consult your doctor before implementing a homemade diet to ensure that your dog’s meal contains the required vitamins and minerals. He knows what your dog’s specific needs are depending on his size, age, breed and energy level. He will give you very useful guidelines on preparing a homemade dog food such as what ingredients are potentially toxic to your dog.
- Abruptly switching your dog to homemade food may offend your dog’s stomach so be very much careful. Do it slowly while making observations on any reaction however small they may be. Be very watchful on watery stool or shedding of hair.
- Make sure that your dog gets a healthy diet that contains 40 percent meat, 30 percent vegetables and 30 starch to aid to proper vital functions. Following this will make sure that your dog gets a well-proportioned diet.
- Try feeding your dog a variety of dog food recipe to avoid wearing out his appetite. Dogs are like humans, they may also get tired of eating the same type of food everyday of his life.
- Thoroughly search on ingredients that are harmful to your dog.
5 Dangerous Foods For Dog That Should Be Avoided
Below are some examples of foods that may not be safe for your canine pet.
- Chocolate contains a certain chemical called theobromine which is not very safe for dogs. It is fatal if ingested in high doses. However, small quantities may still cause vomiting and diarrhea.
- Onions, chives and garlic can damage your dog’s red blood cells that’s why it is important not to give your dog leftovers that may contain these spices.
- Never ever give your dog grapes or raisins as this can seriously harm the kidneys causing renal failure.
- Do not give your dog any sugar-free gum as this contains a sweetener called xylitol which can also be dangerous to your dog.
- Contrary to what most of us believe in the generosity of giving a dog a bone, this may only pose a risk to your dog’s health as this may only injure his internal organs
Yes, it is a very rewarding experience for any owner to be able to give his pet optimum care. It may not be that easy but with proper knowledge and perseverance, one will surely be able to achieve that goal and that is why I recommend that you make your own dog food.