Naming a small lap dog that can be elegant, silly or sweet isn’t easy. Perhaps this list will help you find the perfect name to call your tiny companion.
Among America’s favorite dogs are Yorkshire Terriers, Poodles, Chihuahuas, and small mixed breeds. These toy breeds can be adorable, elegant, dignified, ritzy, playful, silly, or sassy, as well as many other characteristics that can make choosing the right name a difficult job. But one thing is for sure, these lapdogs make wonderful companions and each one deserves a name that will reflect its place within the family and its own unique character.
Some dog owners like to give their dogs human names while others like to look up the origin of their dog’s breed and choose something related, such as Peso for a Chihuahua, Berlin for a Miniature Pinscher, or Wonton for a Pekingese. The name can also reflect their own unique personality, such as Zippy or Bubbles for a vivacious little dog.
Some dog owners may name their dog according to colors and markings such as Honey, Raven, or Oreo. Sometimes the name of a famous person or movie character such as Picasso or Toto seems to fit best. An elegant little dog may deserve a name like Gucci or Mercedes or, if your toy breed is a goofy clown, a silly name like Tadpole or Zany may suit him.
Choosing just the right name for your dog is one of the most fun parts of bringing home a new pet. Occasionally a dog just looks like a Max or a Prissy or a Skipper and the name sticks right away, but in other cases, it can take a little more thought and that’s when a list of names can come in handy. But remember that the name you give your dog usually tells as much about you as it does your dog.
- Abby, Angel
- Baby, Bagel, Bambi, Bandit, Barney, Beeper, Berlynn, Binky, Bobo, Bonbon, Boogie, Bubbles, Buttercup, Butterbean
- Caramel, Cheerio, Cherub, Chia, Chiclet, Chigger, Confetti, Cookie, Cracker, Cricket, Crouton, Cuddles
- Daisy, Dazzle, Digit, Dimples, Dinky, Doodlebug, Dumpling, Dynamite
- Feather, Flower, FooFoo, Foxy, Froggy
- Geisha, Gizmo, Gremlin, Gucci
- Honey, Huggy
- Itsy Bitsy, Itty Bitty
- Jingle, Jangle, Jelly Bean, Jitterbug
- Kiki, Kewpie, Knick Knack
- Lacy, Little Bug, Lolly, Lovebug
- Mercedes, Minnow, Morsel, Mosquito, Muffin, Munchkin
- Niblet, Nikki, Nugget
- Oahu, Oreo, Orion
- Paris, Payton, Peaches, Peanut, Peeper, PeeWee, Penny, Peppy, Peso, Petals, Picasso, Pico, Pierre, Pinky, Poco, PomPom, Popcorn, Precious, Prissy, Pudding
- Raisin, Reesie, Ritzy, Ruby
- Sasha, Sassy, Scarlet, Shanghai, Shorty, Skipper, Snickers, Smidget, Smiley, Smudge, Snookums, Snuggles, Skeeter, Snuffy, Sparky, Spark Plug, Spanky, Squeaky, Squeakers, Sugar, Sunny, Sweet Pea
- Tadpole, Taffy, Teacup, Tidbit, Tiffany, Tinkerbell, Tiny, Tortilla, Toto, Tokyo, Trinket, Treasure, Truffles, Tyke, Twinkie
- Van Gogh, Vegas, Venus, Vienna
- Wags, Wiggles, Winky, Wings, Wonton
- Zany, Zippy, ZsaZsa