The food your Yorkshire Terrier eats can determine the quality of life and lifespan of your pet. Yorkies are adventurous dogs who love to explore and burrow. This often results in dog eating things they shouldn’t. Unfortunately, certain types of food and items in your home can harm your Yorkie, and even lead to serious health problems.
Typical health issues that develop from a poor diet include diabetes, blood diseases, pancreas problem, liver problems, kidney damage and even death. However, once you are aware of potentially dangerous foods and items around you house, many health problems can be prevented. Some edible items your dog should avoid include the following:
- Poisonous Plants and Shrubs. Yorkies are adventurous animals who love to explore their surroundings. In many homes, Yorkshire Terriers live indoors, and also spend time in the yard and garden. Some indoor and outdoor plants are toxic if eaten by your dog. To avoid poisoning your favorite pet, you need to keep dangerous plants out of reach of you Yorkie, or replace them with safer alternatives.
- Chocolate. It may be one of the most popular treats for humans, but eating chocolate can lead some serious health problems for your Yorkie. The ingredients contained in chocolate can be toxic when they enter your pets digestive system. The result of a dog eating chocolate is often catastrophic and leads to death.
- Onions. Onions are a common ingredient in many human meals. However, many pet owners don’t realize these vegetable can affect your pet’s well being. When your Yorkie eats onions, toxins in these vegetables create a blood disorder called haemolytic anaemia. Dogs become ill and can develop health problem including liver damage.
- Mushrooms. Mushrooms are another popular type of food humans love, but can put your pet’s health at risk. Toxins in mushrooms can lead to serious health issues such as liver disease, kidney problem and even death.
- Fatty Foods. A diet containing too much fat is unhealthy for most animals, including Yorkshire Terriers. Many health problems develop if your Yorkie is fed high fat food for a long period of time. Obesity and even diabetes can develop if you dog is living this type of unhealthy lifestyle.